Saturday, June 16, 2012

"Tranquility base here..."



A wonderful interview with Neil Armstrong, who recounts his first landing on the moon and offers his thoughts on the future of NASA.

I'm a bit of a space buff. I watched the first moonwalk on TV, on that July night in 1969 (I was 14). I wanted to be an astronaut before I wanted to be a brain surgeon. My inability to tolerate carnival rides pretty much disqualified me for the astronaut corps (ironically I also got queasy at the sight of blood, but fortunately for my surgical career I got over that), but I remain an astronaut aficionado.

For readers who share my love of astronaut lore, the best book I've read on the Apollo program is Andrew Chaikin's Man on the Moon. Engrossing, funny, poignant. Highly recommended.

I really respect Armstrong. He has been reticent to speak publicly since the moon landing, and has maintained a dignified private life.

He's a quiet hero, and a class act. 

4 comments:

  1. Yeah right. If you believe they actually landed on the moon.

    Kidding, kidding.

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Vox Day, one of Mike's favorite bloggers, of the opinion that the Moon landings were faked?

      Just sayin'.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip on the book. I added it to my wish list on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lunar missions were important in so many ways. I am personally fascinated with the entire subject of space travel and exploration, and was very happy to find this post.
    I have this intuition, I cannot prove but never the less feel is true: Part of man's purpose is to explore and expand - and with mankind all earthly life.
    Men like Armstrong are an inspiration from a generation of risk takers and doers.
    Thanks for the post, Mike.

    ReplyDelete